This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure for more info.
This apple cabbage salad is not only vibrant but has the most refreshing, crunchy texture. It's similar to a slaw but with a vinegar-based dressing instead of mayo.
Salads are one of the best ways to add color to your plate regardless of the season. Many fall and winter salads will swap out the delicate leafy greens for something a little heartier such as Brussels sprouts or roasted broccoli or in this case, cabbage.
- Cabbage - a mix of both green and red cabbage gives the salad more dimension as well as a bright pop of color.
- Apple - the star ingredient that really helps balance out the bitterness of the raw cabbage and adds a refreshing element with a hint of sweetness. Choose an apple that falls on the sweeter side or use a combination of sweet and tart.
- Dressing - extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, raw honey, kosher salt, and pepper.
Substitutions & Variations
Please remember that recipes are just a starting point.
How can you make this apple cabbage salad using what you already have? Here are some ideas…
- No apples? - use jicama, fennel, or water chestnut instead.
- No white wine vinegar? - other kinds of vinegar that work: apple cider or champagne.
- No raw honey? - use maple syrup.
- Add-ins - finely chopped curly kale, fresh herbs, toasted nuts or seeds, dukkah.
Frequently Asked Questions
To keep your apples from turning an unpleasant shade of brown in the salad, squeeze them with lemon juice immediately after cutting them.
Remove the wilted outer leaves and discard them. Then slice the cabbage in half and then each half in half again and cut out the white core. Then using either a mandoline slicer or a chef knife, make thin slices across until you've reached the desired amount.
You can serve it as a side, with roasted cauliflower or fish tacos, in a sandwich, or as a veggie burger topping.
More Fall Salad Recipes
- Fall Harvest Salad With Cranberry Vinaigrette
- Easy Massaged Kale Salad
- Fennel Salad With Lemon Mint Dressing
Apple Cabbage Salad
- 3 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium apple, cut into matchsticks this equals about 2 cups
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk all the dressing ingredients together until combined. Taste and add more salt if needed, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced cabbage and apple slices. Pour the dressing over top and toss to combine.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop before serving. Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Evie Ugrin says
This Coleslaw is delicious, versatile, very nutritious and yes, easy to make.
Appreciate the inspiration.
Aww thanks Evie! So glad you enjoy it! 🙂
I just made this to have with fish tacos. I added fennel, used green cabbage and avocado oil. It is delicious!
Yum!! One of my favorite flavor combos!