This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure for more info.
Learn how to make the best baked sweet potatoes every time with this simple recipe. Great eaten as a side dish, snack, or stuffed for a more complete meal.
Sweet potatoes can be made in a variety of ways, but baked sweet potatoes are near the top of the list.
Baking releases the natural sugars in the potatoes. This develops little caramelized pockets that crisp up on the skin. The inside of the potato is soft, creamy, and slightly sweet making it a blank (but flavorful) canvas for so many meals.
For something so simple and healthy, it’s ridiculously delicious.
How to Make Baked Sweet Potatoes
Prep the sweet potatoes. Wash your sweet potatoes and pat dry. Poke all over with a fork to allow the steam to escape. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Bake at 425ºF. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. This will depend on the size. Medium sweet potatoes can be checked for doneness after the 45-minute mark. Large sweet potatoes will take an hour.
How to Check for Doneness. They’re ready when easily pierced with a fork or knife.
Place the poked sweet potatoes on the lined baking tray without wrapping them in foil. No foil means the skin will stay crispy while the inside of the potato steams.
Baked Sweet Potato Toppings
Baked sweet potatoes are delicious on their own with a little dairy-free butter or olive/avocado oil, flakey salt, and pepper.
More ways to enjoy them:
- fill with black bean and corn salad or southwest quinoa salad
- drizzle with homemade cashew butter, ground cinnamon, and salt
- top with arugula pesto and shredded chicken for a complete meal
Baked Sweet Potatoes
- sweet potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Wash your sweet potatoes and pat dry. Poke all over with a fork to allow the steam to escape. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until soft enough to be easily pierced with a fork or knife.