Coconut chickpea curry is a comforting weeknight staple made in under 30 minutes. This recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan.
This Indian-inspired curry has tons of flavor due to the two spice blends used. It's honestly one of those hearty plant-based meals I could eat every week. And because it's made of pantry staples, it's budget-friendly and really easy to throw together.
Serve it with coconut lime rice, naan, or toast.
- Flavor builders - yellow onion, garlic, and fresh ginger.
- Spices - a combination of garam masala, curry powder, and salt.
- Canned items - chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), diced tomatoes, and full-fat coconut milk for extra creaminess.
- Additional flavoring - fresh lime juice and cilantro.
See recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full ingredient list and quantities.
How to Make Coconut Chickpea Curry
1. Add the oil to a large pot over medium heat. Once warm, add the diced onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Then stir in the spices and salt and cook for another minute until it becomes fragrant.
2. Then add in the chickpeas, diced tomatoes, and canned coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice and top with fresh cilantro if desired.
Make It Your Way: Substitutions & Variations
Please remember that recipes are just a starting point.
How can you make this coconut chickpea curry using what you already have? Here are some ideas...
- No yellow onion? - use a shallot, white or red onion instead.
- No curry powder? - ground turmeric is a great sub.
- No can of diced tomatoes? - you could also use diced butternut squash or pumpkin for a similar texture.
- More spices - add ground cumin or paprika for even more flavor.
- Add more vegetables - such as kale, cauliflower, bell pepper, carrots, etc.
How to Store
Store the chickpea curry in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. Reheat in either the microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through.
More Plant-Based Recipes
Coconut Chickpea Curry
- 2 tablespoons coconut or avocado oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15.5 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- juice of 1 lime, plus more to taste
- fresh cilantro, for serving
- coconut lime rice for serving
- Add the oil to a large pot over medium heat. Once warm, add the diced onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garam masla, curry powder, and salt and cook for another minute until it becomes fragrant.
- Now add in the chickpeas, diced tomatoes, and canned coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the curry from the heat and stir in the lime juice. Top with fresh cilantro if desired and serve over rice or with naan.
Rate & Review