This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure for more info.
This dairy-free buffalo chicken dip is a crowd-pleasing appetizer or filling snack for football game days and beyond. This recipe is gluten-free and just as satisfying as the real thing but made with simple, wholesome ingredients.
For me, buffalo chicken dip has always been associated with football season. But between being dairy-free and my severe lack of interest in football, I've never been keen to try it.
Once I made my buffalo chicken rice bowls, I finally understood the buffalo sauce hype. This dip is tangy, spicy, creamy, rich, and filling because of all the protein.
Traditional buffalo chicken dip has various kinds of dairy including cream cheese, ranch dressing, cheddar, and bleu cheese. Here's what I used for the dairy-free version.
- Cooked and shredded chicken breast - you can either cook your own or buy a precooked rotisserie chicken for a quicker option.
- Mayo - this adds to the creaminess of the dip.
- Hot sauce - you can choose anything, but to go with the theme of a traditional buffalo sauce, I used Frank's Red Hot Original (some of their wing sauces do contain butter so make sure to read the ingredient list).
- Green onions - add flavor and a pop of color.
- Spices - I used a blend of spices used in ranch dressing to mimic that flavor.
How to Make Dairy-Free Buffalo Chicken Dip
Step 1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
Step 2. In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients until well combined. Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe shallow dish or skillet and smooth the top.
Step 3. Bake for 20 minutes or until warmed through and bubbly. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve with crackers, celery sticks, bell pepper slices, etc.
Make It Your Way: Substitutions & Variations
Please remember that recipes are just a starting point.
How can you make this dairy-free buffalo chicken dip using what you already have? Here are some ideas…
- No mayo? - you can also use dairy-free ranch dressing, just omit the spices.
- No green onions? - just omit.
- No hot sauce? - you can also use dairy-free buffalo sauce, either homemade or storebought (this will make it even creamier and richer).
- Make it egg-free - use vegan mayo.
- Make it vegan - I haven't tried this, but for a similar texture, you could try 2 cans of artichoke hearts in water roughly chopped or jackfruit, use vegan mayo, and proceed with the rest of the recipe.
What to Serve This With
This dip is great served with crackers, fresh vegetables, chips, or even toasted bread. To take it to the next level, you can drizzle it with dairy-free ranch dressing.
More Dairy-Free Dips
Dairy-Free Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 pound cooked and shredded chicken breasts about 3 cups
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup cayenne-based hot sauce such as Frank's Red Hot Original
- 3 green onions, sliced plus more for garnish green part only
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon diamond crystal kosher salt if using another kind reduce by half
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon celery seeds
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients until well combined. Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe shallow dish or skillet and smooth the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until warmed through and bubbly. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve with crackers, celery sticks, bell pepper slices, etc.
Rate & Review