Fluffy Blueberry Dairy-Free Pancakes
These blueberry dairy-free pancakes are truly what pancake dreams are made of. They’re light and fluffy with little hidden bursts of fruity goodness. Plus, they can easily be made gluten-free or vegan!
Servings: 6 pancakes
- 1 cup plant milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or substitute
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour or substitute
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter, melted + more for pan or substitute
- 1 cup fresh blueberries + more for topping
- maple syrup
- cashew cream or DF yogurt
Make the 'buttermilk'. Mix the milk and the vinegar together and set aside for 10 minutes.
Whisk dry ingredients. In a medium size bowl, add the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
Add wet ingredients to dry. Add the whisked egg, melted butter and buttermilk to the dry ingredients and fold them together until just combined. Don't over-mix!
Cook. Scoop ⅓ cup of the batter into a greased pan over medium heat and spread it out a little to form a circle. Add some fresh blueberries into each pancake and cook until little bubbles form on the surface before flipping to cook another minute or two on the other side. Continue until you've used up all of the batter.
- Avoid over mixing the batter. Over mixing results in dense pancakes, which is the opposite of what we want. So make sure to fold the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Folding allows air to incorporate into the batter and air = fluffy pancakes.
- Adding the blueberries. If you add the blueberries to the batter you run the risk of over mixing it, so that’s the reason for adding them directly to the pancakes instead of to the batter itself.