Berry Aquafaba Meringues
Aquafaba meringues are a great light and airy dessert that literally melt in your mouth. This recipe is both egg-free and vegan yet tastes just like the traditional dessert!
- ¾ cup aquafaba (from 15 oz can)
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅔ cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoon freeze dried fruit powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Make the meringue
Add the aquafaba into the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment (or with handheld beaters). Beat on medium-high speed for a couple of minutes until the liquid is frothy.
With the machine running, add in the cream of tartar and continue mixing until the aquafaba has turned white and is starting to thicken (about 3-5 minutes).
Slowly add the freeze-dried fruit/cane sugar mixture, about 1 tablespoon at a time (along with the vanilla, if using) to the running machine until you've used it all up and stiff peaks have formed.
Pipe the meringue
Preheat your oven to 200°F. Transfer the meringue to a piping bag or a ziplock bag with the corner snipped. Make 1-inch rounds, just slightly spaced apart. You can also do this with a spoon.
Bake for 2 hours. Let cool for a few minutes, carefully use a spatula to help remove your meringues, dust with the extra fruit powder, and serve.
- See the helpful recipe tips section above for having the best success when making aquafaba meringues.
- This recipe makes anywhere from 80 meringue cookies (depending on the size you make them). Great to give away as a gift.