Coconut lime rice really is the perfect side dish. It's incredibly flavorful and is made right on the stove top, no rice cooker needed. This creamy coconut lime rice recipe is naturally gluten free, dairy free, and vegan.
This simple side dish has a mild coconut flavor that gets balanced out by fresh lime juice and lime zest.
It's the perfect accompaniment to many different dishes such as Thai coconut lime chicken, gluten free coconut shrimp, bbq salmon bites, burrito bowls, and more. You can also use leftover cold coconut lime rice to make an even more flavorful pineapple fried rice.
To make this recipe, you only need a few simple ingredients.
- Jasmine rice - I recommend using plain white rice over brown rice for the creamiest texture and best flavor.
- Full fat coconut milk - you'll use the whole contents of the can including the coconut cream and the water. The fat from the coconut is what gives the rice its super creamy texture. You can find canned coconut milk in the international aisle of major grocery stores or at Asian supermarkets.
- Fresh lime juice & zest - The juice balances out the flavors and the zest brings forward that true lime flavor.
- Kosher salt - To taste.
For the full recipe, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Coconut Lime Rice
Step 1. Rinse the rice in a fine-mesh strainer under cold water until the water runs clear to remove any excess starch. Add the rinsed rice to a medium saucepan with the canned coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Step 2. Once boiling, cover with a lid, and reduce to a low boil over medium-low heat. Cook undisturbed for 15 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and let it sit covered for an additional 3-5 minutes.
Step 3. Fluff the rice with a fork and add in the lime zest, lime juice, and more salt to taste. Mix to combine.
Make It Your Way: Substitutions & Variations
Please remember that recipes are just a starting point.
How can you make this coconut lime rice using what you already have? Here are some ideas…
- No Jasmine rice? - use another type of long grain rice such as basmati rice, Carolina Gold, or American long grain, but the cooking time may vary with one of these other varieties.
- No full-fat coconut milk? - feel free to use lite canned coconut milk if you prefer.
- Instead of water - you can substitute coconut water or vegetable/chicken broth for the water.
- Make coconut cilantro lime rice - add fresh cilantro at the end to garnish and for more flavor.
For this recipe, you'll need a few basic kitchen tools such as a saucepan with a lid, a Microplane for removing the lime zest, a chef knife to cut the lime and cilantro, measuring cups, and a fine-mesh sieve for rinsing the rice.
How to Store
Store leftover rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
More Side Dishes
- Easy Skillet Blackened Corn
- Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Marinated Portobello Mushrooms
- Roasted Red Cabbage Wedges
Coconut Lime Rice
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro to garnish
- Rinse the rice in a fine-mesh strainer under cold water until the water runs clear to remove any excess starch. Add the rinsed rice to a medium saucepan with the canned coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, cover with a lid, and reduce to a low boil over medium-low heat. Cook undisturbed for 15 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and let it sit covered for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and add in the lime zest, lime juice, more salt to taste, and optional chopped cilantro. Mix to combine.