This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure for more info.
If you're in need of a side dish, look no further than this versatile tropical coconut lime rice. It's sure to be a new family favorite! This easy recipe is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
This side dish is incredibly versatile and can be eaten with several different cuisines.
It goes really well with dishes like Thai coconut lime chicken or Thai red curry soup but also pairs with gluten-free coconut shrimp and pineapple jam if you want to stick with the tropical theme.
It's ever so slightly sweet with a mild coconut taste that is balanced out by the lime juice and optional cilantro.
- Jasmine rice - I prefer white rice, but feel free to use brown if you'd like.
- Canned coconut milk - I used full-fat for a creamy texture, but feel free to use lite canned coconut milk if you prefer.
- Lime juice & zest - The juice balances out the flavors and the zest brings forward that true lime flavor.
- Cilantro - This is completely optional, but adds another layer of flavor and some color.
- Kosher salt - To taste.
Quick tip: Canned coconut milk can be found in the Cultural/Asian aisle of major grocery stores or at Asian supermarkets.
Rinse the rice in a fine-mesh strainer until the water runs clear to remove any excess starch and then add to a medium saucepan with the coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to a boil.
Once boiling, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook undisturbed for 15 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and let it sit covered for an additional 3-5 minutes.
Fluff the rice with a fork and add in the lime zest, lime juice, more salt to taste, and optional chopped cilantro. Mix to combine.
Substitutions & Variations
Please remember that recipes are just a starting point.
How can you make this coconut lime rice using what you already have? Here are some ideas…
- No Jasmine rice - use another type of long grain rice such as Basmati, Carolina Gold, or American long grain.
- No cilantro - replace this with another fresh herb such as parsley or basil.
- Liquid - if you want even more flavor, use a combination of coconut milk and vegetable or chicken broth instead of water.
For this recipe, you'll need a few basic kitchen tools such as a saucepan with a lid, a microplane for removing the lime zest, a chef knife to cut the lime and cilantro, measuring cups, and a fine-mesh sieve for rinsing the rice.
Store in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
More Sides To Enjoy
Coconut Lime Rice
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 15 ounce can coconut milk (lite or full-fat) about 1 ½ cups
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lime about 2 tablespoons
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, optional
- Rinse the rice in a fine-mesh strainer until the water runs clear to remove any excess starch and then add to a medium saucepan with the coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook undisturbed for 15 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and let it sit covered for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and add in the lime zest, lime juice, more salt to taste, and optional chopped cilantro. Mix to combine.
Rate & Review