This 3 ingredient DIY Himalayan salt scrub is super easy to make and will take you from dry to glowing skin after only a few uses.
Why You'll Love This Himalayan Salt Scrub
- It's quick. All you need is about 5 minutes and you'll be on your way to soft skin.
- It's affordable. Because it only uses a few simple ingredients, it's incredibly cost-effective and much more affordable than many store-bought options.
- You can tailor it to your skin's needs. Use the essential oil of your choice depending on what your skin needs.
- It's natural. Unlike many store-bought salt scrubs, this homemade version uses real ingredients that are free of artificial fragrances and dyes.
Do You Struggle with Dry Skin?
If your skin is dry and flaky, there’s a possibility that you have dead skin cells sitting on the surface of your skin. By exfoliating the skin (or rubbing the sea salt scrub in circular motions), you're helping to remove the dead skin cells exposing the healthy, glowing skin underneath.
Sloughing away the dead skin cells helps to promote the growth of healthy new cells. This regeneration of the skin helps to even out skin tone, helps with discoloration, and improves the overall texture of your skin.
Salt Scrub Ingredients
Pink Himalayan Salt
Pink Himalayan salt is also called pink salt, Himalayan sea salt, Himalayan crystal salt, or rock.
This incredible salt comes with many benefits such as:
- balancing the body’s pH levels (source)
- acting as a natural digestive aid (source)
- air purifier (source)
- improving respiratory problems (source)
- inducing sleep (source)
- increasing hydration (source)
- improving circulation (source)
- reducing the appearance of aging (source)
Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Extra virgin coconut oil is such a versatile health and wellness food.
For example, it can be used as:
- body moisturizer
- natural lubricant
- high-heat stable cooking oil
- eye makeup remover
- dairy replacement in baking
What makes it so great when it comes to skincare is its antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antifungal properties (although I would avoid moisturizing your face with it as it can clog your pores).
Essential oils are used in aromatherapy, which is an ancient healing modality that’s been around for thousands of years. The oils are used for their incredible therapeutic properties.
Essential oils are extracted from the bark, flower, fruit, leaf, seed, or root of a plant or tree making them very concentrated and powerful. Because they're so concentrated, they’re best used in really small amounts.
For this Himalayan salt scrub, I used Frankincense essential oil, which comes from a tree native to India called Boswellia. It's a powerful natural astringent that can kill harmful germs and bacteria. It also heals skin and prevents signs of aging, helping reduce the appearance of scars, acne, wounds, and stretch marks. It’s also great for treating ingrown hairs.
The smell of frankincense can take some getting used to, so feel free to add whatever essential oil you enjoy. They all have different benefits depending on the oil and the plant it came from.
Important to Note
If you have sensitive skin or react to products easily, I recommend doing a test patch on either the back of your hand or on your ankle. To do this, put a tiny amount of the essential oil with a little coconut oil in one of those areas and wait about 5 minutes to see if there’s a reaction.
Essential oils are incredibly potent and I strongly advise against putting them directly on your skin without a carrier oil (such as coconut oil).
More Simple Self-Care Ideas
- 5 Luxurious Self-Care Ideas on a Budget
- The Best Online Workouts for Any Budget
- How to Create a Morning Routine (That Actually Works)
3 Ingredient Himalayan Salt Scrub
- Gently heat the coconut oil on the stove if it’s too solid to mix (this step isn’t necessary if yours is softened).
- Add all of the ingredients to a glass jar and mix well.
- Store the closed jar in your bathroom.
- Use weekly by massaging onto your cleansed body after a shower and then rinse.
- This Himalayan salt scrub lasts about 6 months.
- Avoid using this on your face. This salt scrub is too abrasive for the delicate skin there.