This Italian artichoke salad is an easy side dish that takes only 15 minutes to make. It's fresh, vibrant, and so flavorful. This customizable recipe is dairy-free and gluten-free with a vegan option.
This salad is great for any occasion: family get-togethers, weeknight dinners, holidays, and dinner parties. It can also be enjoyed any time of the year, but there's nothing that compares with in-season tomatoes.
Between the bright colors, fresh flavors, and herby Italian vinaigrette, this salad will quickly become a favorite.
- Marinated artichoke hearts - using already marinated artichokes enhances the flavors.
- Cannellini beans - for plant-based protein and texture, and to make the salad heartier.
- Cherry tomatoes - flavor, color, texture.
- Roasted red peppers (from a jar) - for added flavor and texture.
- Shallot - optional.
- Fresh basil - torn.
- Romaine heart - adds a crunchy element.
- Italian vinaigrette - extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, dijon mustard, honey, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, kosher salt.
How to Make Italian Artichoke Salad
Step 1. Make the dressing by whisking together all the vinaigrette ingredients in a bowl.
Step 2. Add all the salad ingredients except the romaine lettuce to a large bowl.
Step 3. Pour the dressing over the salad, and gently toss to combine. Cover the bowl and allow the salad to chill before serving for the best flavor.
Step 4. Toss in the chopped romaine just before serving, otherwise, it'll get soggy.
Make It Your Way: Substitutions & Variations
Please remember that recipes are just a starting point.
How can you make this artichoke salad using what you already have? Here are some ideas…
- No marinaded artichoke hearts? - you can also use canned artichoke hearts, they just tend to be more on the bland side, so let the salad chill longer to allow the vinaigrette to seep in.
- No cannellini beans? - use another white bean such as great northern, lima (also called butter beans), or garbanzo.
- No roasted red peppers? - you can leave it out or use fresh bell pepper.
- No romaine lettuce? - use another crunchy vegetable such as Persian or English cucumber, sliced fennel, or shredded carrots.
- No red wine vinegar? - serve it with basil balsamic vinaigrette instead.
- No honey? - use maple syrup.
- Add-ins - asparagus, olives, capers, parmesan flakes (dairy-free or regular), etc.
How to Serve
Serve artichoke salad alongside lemon butter fish, creamy sundried tomato pesto chicken, pizza, risotto, or with spaghetti alla nerano or burst cherry tomato pasta for a dreamy spread.
More Salad Recipes
Italian Artichoke Salad
- 14.5 ounce jar of marinated artichoke hearts drained
- 15 ounce can of cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup roasted red pepper from a jar diced
- 1 shallot, sliced thinly (optional)
- handful fresh basil torn
- 1 romaine heart, chopped
Herby Italian Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt to taste
- Make the dressing by whisking together all the vinaigrette ingredients in a bowl.
- Add all the salad ingredients except the romaine lettuce to a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, and gently toss to combine. Cover the bowl and allow the salad to chill before serving for the best flavor.
- Toss in the chopped romaine just before serving, otherwise, it'll get soggy.
Rate & Review