Crispy oven roasted potatoes with onions are a delicious and easy side dish. These breakfast potatoes have a crispy, golden brown exterior with soft, creamy centers. Easily customize them by switching out the seasonings.
Roasted potatoes are a delicious addition to bacon and eggs or a dairy free frittata, but they also make a great dinner side dish only best served alongside bacon and eggs, they also make a great dinner side dish as well.
The potatoes are already incredibly flavorful on their own from the simple seasonings, but one of my favorite ways to enjoy them is to dip them in a homemade sauce such as BBQ aioli or spicy honey mustard.
- Yukon gold potatoes - this is my personal favorite for making crispy potatoes. They have a deliciously creamy texture, and medium starch levels, and hold their shape well when cooked, making them a great all-purpose potato. These can be found at any grocery store.
- Yellow onion - adds a natural sweetness when cooked and balances out the flavors.
- Garlic powder - for an extra savory flavor.
- Onion powder - for more of a pronounced onion flavor.
- Smoked paprika - one of my favorite seasonings for roasted potatoes.
- Kosher salt and black pepper - to taste.
How To Make Roasted Potatoes With Onions
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
Step 2. Transfer the cut potatoes and onions to a half sheet pan or any large baking sheet with a lip around the edges. Toss them generously with olive oil, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and black pepper.
Step 3. Arrange the seasoned potatoes and onion pieces into an even layer on the sheet pan.
Step 4. Roast for 25 minutes, give them a stir and put back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
Make It Your Way: Substitutions & Variations
Please remember that recipes are just a starting point.
How can you make these roasted potatoes with onions using what you already have? Here are some ideas...
- No Yukon gold potatoes? - you can also use red potatoes, russet potatoes, new potatoes, white potatoes, or fingerling potatoes.
- No yellow onion? - use a Vidalia onion, or sweet onion instead.
- Add-ins - fresh herbs such as fresh rosemary or thyme, or fresh red peppers.
- Variations - use another seasoning such as taco seasoning, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, etc.
How to Store
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in a toaster oven or skillet to crisp them back up.
Eliminate unnecessary dishes. There's no need to use a large bowl for seasoning the potatoes, just toss the potatoes in the seasoning directly on the large baking sheet.
There are no exact amounts of seasonings in the recipe, so use as much or as little as you'd like.
Avoid using fresh garlic as it'll burn in the oven at this temperature.
More Side Dish Recipes
- Warm Potato Salad With Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
- Sweet and Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash
- Maple Miso Roasted Carrots
Crispy Roasted Potatoes With Onions
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Transfer the cut potatoes and onions to a half sheet pan or any large baking sheet with a lip around the edges. Toss them generously with olive oil, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Arrange the seasoned potatoes and onion pieces into an even layer on the sheet pan.
- Roast for 25 minutes, give them a stir and put back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.