This avocado toast with marinated tomatoes makes the most flavorful avocado toast with little effort involved. Easily customize it to include your favorite toppings.
The marinated tomatoes take this avocado toast to a whole new level. The tangy flavor of the marinade pairs nicely with the sweetness of the tomatoes, creamy avocado, and crunchy, toasted bread.
Enjoy it any time of the day, whether it's for breakfast, a snack, or a light lunch. The healthy fats in the avocado help make it satiating, but you can always add dairy free mozzarella, almond ricotta, or a fried egg to make it more filling.
- Tomatoes - any variety: heirloom, sweet cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, or Roma tomatoes.
- Marinade - extra virgin olive oil, champagne vinegar, fresh rosemary, fresh garlic, salt, and black pepper.
- Sourdough bread - or any toasted bread of your choosing.
- Avocado - I recommend using a just barely ripe avocado for the best creamy texture. See below for tips on how to choose the perfect avocado.
How to Make Avocado Tomato Toast
Step 1. Quarter or half the tomatoes depending on their size and add to a small bowl along with the olive oil, champagne vinegar, fresh rosemary (or other herbs), minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine, then cover and let rest at room temperature or in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
Step 2. Toast bread in a toaster oven until golden brown and top with smashed avocado.
Step 3. Spoon the marinated tomato mixture on top of the mashed avocado. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt if desired.
Make It Your Way: Substitutions & Variations
Please remember that recipes are just a starting point.
How can you make this tomato avocado toast recipe using what you already have? Here are some ideas...
- Make it gluten free - use your favorite gluten free bread.
- No champagne vinegar? - you can also use fresh lime juice, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, or balsamic vinegar instead.
- No fresh rosemary? - use fresh basil, fresh parsley, or fresh oregano.
- No fresh garlic? - use garlic powder or omit it completely.
- No raw tomatoes? - skip the marinade and use roasted tomatoes or tomato confit instead.
- Add-ins - use another vinaigrette in place of the marinade such as balsamic basil vinaigrette or simple shallot vinaigrette.
More Topping Ideas
- Red pepper flakes if you want some heat.
- Fresh cilantro for a different flavor profile.
- Everything but the bagel seasoning for extra crunch and flavor.
- Dairy-free mozzarella (or fresh mozzarella if not dairy-free) and fresh basil to turn it into a Caprese salad toast.
- Almond ricotta to make it more filling.
- Fried egg for protein.
- Quick pickled vegetables for extra texture and tang.
- Balsamic glaze drizzle.
- Squeeze of lemon juice for brightness.
- Sliced green onion for color and flavor.
How to Choose a Ripe Avocado
An avocado is ripe if it slightly gives to the touch. If you can't tell by lightly pressing on it, here's another way to tell. Remove the little stem on top. If it's:
- Green underneath: it's ripe.
- Brown underneath: it's overripe.
- Difficult to remove: it hasn't ripened yet, so give it another day.
More Savory Breakfast Recipes
Avocado Toast With Marinated Tomatoes
- 1 pound tomatoes any variety: heirloom, sweet cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, or Roma tomatoes.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh herbs - basil, parsley, or rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 avocado pitted and peel removed
- 4 slices bread of choice
- Quarter or half the tomatoes depending on their size and add to a small bowl along with the olive oil, champagne vinegar, fresh rosemary (or other herbs), minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine, then cover and let rest at room temperature or in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Toast bread in a toaster oven until golden brown and top with smashed avocado. You'll need ½ avocado per piece of toast.
- Spoon the marinated tomato mixture on top of the mashed avocado. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and any additional toppings if desired.